How Do I Sign Up?
How Much Does It Cost?
Registration for this project is £15.99 per member, which helps us to cover the costs of putting on our programme of events and building the video.
If you would like to, you can also sponsor another member’s place so we can keep this project open and accessible to those who can’t afford it in this tricky financial time.
These sponsored places are given to those on the waitlist. If you decide to join the waitlist for a free place, please wait for an email to let you know that you have been given a place on the project. Please rest assured we will offer places to as many people who are on the waitlist as possible, but we are heavily reliant on the generosity of our members in order to fund waitlist places.
How Do I Find The Resources?
Do I Need to Buy a Score?
Nope! The scores are available to download and print on the ‘John Rutter and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’ Instructions page.
Which Voice Part Should I Sing?
It is entirely up to you! Our engineers are adept at balancing parts so please don’t worry about us ‘needing’ more of a certain voice type. Please choose a part which fits into your vocal range. We would ask however that you stick to one part and don’t change halfway through your recording – we mix each vocal part separately so it complicates things if we have a mixture of parts in one recording.
How Do I Sign Up to Rehearsals?
Rehearsals take place on Zoom and are also uploaded to the website within 24 hours so you can choose how and when you would like to access.
If you would like to be in the Zoom rehearsal, we ask that you book a place using Eventbrite. This is because we have limited space in each Zoom. Each week’s Zoom rehearsals are added to the Eventbrite page on Monday at 14.00 GMT.
How Do I Access Zoom Rehearsals?
If you choose to join the Zoom Room rather than watching on the website, you must book a space through Eventbrite. The Eventbrite confirmation email will have a Zoom link under ‘Additional Information’.
Where Do I Find my Zoom link?!
You will receive your Zoom link in your Eventbrite confirmation email under ‘Additional Information’.
What Time are the Events?
For information about when our events are, you can find the Schedule on the Instructions page of our website.
You can convert events to your local time using this Time Zone converter:
What Are The Different Types Of Event?
Global Social – Meet some of the SAHC team, your fellow members and learn some helpful Zoom tips so you can enter rehearsals feeling confident!
Soundbytes with John Rutter – These are opportunities to listen to John Rutter and Tori and Jamie chat about their favourite carols. They are closed Zooms that will be broadcast to YouTube and our social media at a later date.
Vocal Technique/Tip Forum – These are ‘invite-only’ sessions with an industry expert. Submit a question (via a Google Form on the weekly email) and we will get in touch to invite you into the Zoom to discuss the question.
Rehearsals – Join Tori, Jamie and the SAHC team in rehearsing the carols!
Upper and Lower Voice Sectionals – These are an opportunity to look at your part in more detail with Tori, Jamie and the SAHC team
Drop-In Sessions – A more informal session (you do not need to book!) to ask Tori, Jamie and the SAHC team about anything you fancy! Vocal technique, technology issues, questions about the carols, whatever you fancy!
I Can't Make Rehearsals! Can I Still Participate?
Yes, of course!
- All our events are optional, so please don’t worry if you’re not able to attend.
- We will record all rehearsals and webinars and they will be available (via links on our website) on our YouTube channel once complete.
How Do I Submit A Video?
Once the Submission portal is open, you will see a ‘Submit Video’ button appear on the main project screen. Please click that, choose your voice part and then select whichever file you would like to upload.
If your file appears greyed out and you are unable to choose it, instead, try dragging the file to the submission window. The system will name your file using your full name which you have signed up with.
If you decide after submission that you’d like to do another take, just re-submit a video and it will replace your previous submission.
Do I Have To Submit A Video?
Not if you don’t want to! It’s absolutely find for you to come along to rehearsals and take part in the process, but not actually submit a video.
Alternatively, you can submit audio only if you’d prefer not to send in a video.
What Should I Wear In My Video?
Whatever you fancy! We will love your video whatever you wear, though if you fancy dressing up in your festive gear, that would be lovely!
How Does Submission Work with Multiple Pieces?
The submissions for each piece will run consecutively (one after the other).
Why Is My Video Not Uploading?
Make sure that you have a strong internet signal. Placing your device next to the wifi router, for example, can help speed up the process. It may also help if there aren’t too many other devices connected to the internet at the same time.
If you are still having trouble uploading your file, try running it through a converter such as this one to make the file smaller:
When Are The Submission Deadlines For This Project?
The Submission Deadline for Hark the Herald will be 11th November 23.00 GMT.
The Submission Deadline for Star Carol will be 30th November 23.00 GMT.
(CSS - don't edit me)
How do I join the Stay At Home Choir?
- You can sign up to sing with us right here on this website!
- You can sign up to any of our active projects. Click ‘Join Project’, select your project and then click ‘Get Started’ to sign up
- To join the general mailing list, head to the homepage, scroll to the bottom and click on ‘Join Newsletter’
When is a video from a previous project going to be released?
- We have an ever-growing membership and as a result each video takes our small team slightly longer than the last to produce. We strive to release the highest quality products which truly showcase the talent of our membership, and every care is taken during the production process – this can take time! We send information about developments for previous projects via email, and we also post updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Make sure you’re signed up to our mailing list and following us on social media to keep updated!
I can't see myself in your latest video BUT my name is on the credits!
Although we try to ensure that every face is featured in our videos, with thousands of people submitting for every project it is very tricky to make sure that everyone can see themselves.
If you can see your name on the credits please don’t worry – you are still on the track and have been included in the project!
Why can I see duplicates in the virtual choir grids?
Because we only have two visual editors we simply don’t have the manpower required to place people by hand. We rely on a computer programme to randomise the thousands of videos we receive and place them within the grids. Whilst we try to avoid duplicates where possible in the middle of our screens, we actively fill the ‘faded out’ areas around the edges of our shots with people who have already been featured in the middle somewhere, so that no-one ends up hanging off the edge of the screen! It’s a complicated process, and we get better at it with each edit.
How do I make a donation to the Stay At Home Choir?
- You can donate at the time of registering for a specific project – you will be asked when registering if you would like to make a donation
- If you choose not to donate upon registration and decide to donate later on, or wish to make a further donation, please head to the page of any previous project (e.g. Kings Singers) and click ‘Donate’ at the top of the page. This will enable you to donate without having to register or re-register for a project.
- The Stay At Home Choir is run by a small team of just 10 people and we receive no external funding, so any contribution small or large is greatly appreciated by us all and enables us to continue bringing you these projects.
If you would like to donate directly to the overall running of the Stay At Home Choir, please click here
I would like to feature Stay At Home Choir on my TV/Radio show
- Please email [email protected] with any PR requests.
- Please include “PR REQUEST” at the start of your email subject.
What format or size should my video be?
You are welcome to submit in whichever format works for you, as long as it is landscape. There should be no need to resize or compress unless it is particularly large and you have trouble uploading.